Are you ready to go on an adventure with your child? In the Neverending Story by Michael Ende, Bastian finds an old book called The Neverending Story. He finds himself in a magical world of Fantastica, and actually becomes a character in the story. He soon finds out that this world is in danger, and he has been chosen to save it. So, what will happen?
The Neverending Story Lesson Plan
Enjoy The Neverending Story with your child, then give these various Neverending Story lesson plans and enrichment activities a try. They are a great way to keep the adventure going long after the book ends.
Medallion of Protection Craft:
In the story, The Empress gives Auryn a medallion to help protect him and keep him safe. In this activity, children can make their own medallion of protection, to either keep for themselves or to give to someone who needs to feel brave. Here is how to get started.
– thin cardstock or craft paper in choice of color
– craft glue
1.Begin by measuring out the ribbon so it is long enough to hang the medallion around the neck and onto the chest. Cut and set aside.
2. Cut a large circle (about the size of a drinking glass opening, you can trace one if you wish) to use as your medallion. You can cut it from cardstock, craft paper, scrapbooking paper, etc.
3. Use the marker to write on your medallion. You can write anything you wish, including a favorite saying, words that describe bravery, a name, etc. You can further decorate the medallion at this time as well.
4. Use the craft glue to attach the medallion to the ribbon. Attach each end of the ribbon to the back of the medallion and hold in place until secure.
5. Once the ribbon is secure to the medallion, you can now display it, wear it, or gift it.
A few other ways to dive into The Neverending Story further includes:
1. Creating a character description for Bastian. Write down the traits that make him unique.
2. What was your favorite creature in the story? Draw a picture and write about why this creature was your favorite.
3. Compare and contrast the book and the MOVIE of The Neverending Story. Talk about how they are the same and how they differ.
The Neverending Story is such a fun adventure for kids and adults. Enjoy the book together then try out these activities so you can keep the fun going.
Other book studies of mine you might enjoy: