This Montessori Inspired Dishwashing Sensory Station is a great way to engage the littles and let them have some fun. Remember, kids learn through play so give them great tings to enrich their experience!
Montessori Inspired Dishwashing Sensory Station
– plastic tub (waterproof)
– assorted plastic cookware, plates, silverware
– kid friendly dish soap
– placemat or water safe tablecloth
For this activity, use a child safe dish soap that is free from strong fragrances or irritants. As far as plastic cookware and dishes, we found all of the ones we used here at our local dollar store. Look for plastic only, not metal, as this will help you avoid rusting or other breakage issues.
1. Begin by filling the tub about ½ way full of warm water. Water should be comfortable to the touch and feel good to the skin.
2. Add in a few drops of dish soap. Create a lather by splashing the water or by using a shower poof a few times in the liquid.
3. Once a nice lather is created, add in your dishes.
4. Place the bin on a place mat or on a water safe tablecloth. This will allow for lots of splashing without the worry of a mess.
There are lots of ways you can now use your dishwashing sensory bin!
– One way is to encourage responsibility and self care through dish washing practice.
– The motions used in dishwashing also help encourage fine motor skills.
– While they have the dishes and other tools in the water, kids can also enjoy discovering what sinks and what floats.
– Kids can discover how to create more bubbles by splashing.
– You can even talk about the temperature of the water.
Kids will enjoy guided play as well as exploration on their own via this dishwashing tub.