Founded in 1994 by childhood friends Ronnen Harary and Anton Rabie, after their graduation from The University of Western Ontario, Spin Master started out by manufacturing a product under the name of Earth Buddy; a nylon head of sawdust that was covered in grass seeds which grew to emulate hair. Joined by classmate Ben Varadi, who attended the University of Western Ontario’s Richard Ivy School of Business, their success led them to a small facility in downtown Toronto. This bout of success would serve as the springboard for Spin Masters entry into the toy business. Over the past two decades Spin Master has achieved significant growth in the toy business, going from a one product business to a leading global, diversified, multi-platform and highly innovative children’s entertainment company.
When I was offered the chance to review several of their products, you can imagine how excited I was to be able to partner with such an innovative, big name such as Spin Master; these are the moments that help carve a name for bloggers within our niche and that help us become a recognized name to our readers.
For my review I was sent the Spin Master Meccanoid G15 Personal Robot. If you’re looking for the must-have gift of the year, then this is it. You’re sure to earn some major points if you’re thinking of giving this guy as a gift to your tech lover!
Being 9 and a techno-geek, it wasn’t that hard to assemble this guy.
The 91 step instructions were VERY easy to follow and the kit even included the two tools you need!
She found it a fair challenge and it took about four hours, but then enjoyed testing out the other features — cracking jokes and more with it.
Here are 15 things we love about it — and why it is worth every bit of it’s cost: it is simply amazing for a child’s robotic kit.
- Compromised of 600+ pieces (Sorry Moms, but it is worth it…honest) They are wonderfully sorted and packed inside the box!
- When completed the G15 measures in at 2 feet tall (you could go with it’s 4′ tall big brother if you wish)
- It can become your kiddo’s new best friend — we avoid screen time normally but this was engaging.
- It has voice recognition capabilities – that actually worked!
- There are over a thousand pre-programmed phrases, comments and witty comebacks will provide its owner with hours of fun while also cracking jokes. It cracked ME up.
- It plays games, better than a tablet ap!
- Advanced technology and 4 Servo motors for realistic movement.
- Easy programming: Built in Megabrain
- 64 megabits of flash memory that allows it to learn movements and record sound
- Can be programmed in 3 different ways
- Learned Intelligent Movement technology (you can simply move its arms or speak to it and the Meccanoid records what your doing and repeats it back to you)
- The Motion Capture Feature allows you to experience more fun by downloading the Meccanoid App on your mobile device. Simply place your smart phone into Meccanoids chest and, activate the Motion Capture Feature and marvel as the G15 mirrors your every move. (I know — some of you LOVE your apps…)
- Swipe the on-screen Ragdoll avatar to make Meccanoid twist, turn or move any way you want
- It has 6 motors to control its arms and feet, the Meccanoid can show off its moves
- Did I mention it came from Spin Master? It’s a name parents can trust